Seven weeks have passed, and I’ve learned A TON.
Progress-wise, is not that visible though. It’s been a lot of trial and error and trying this, trying that with no tangible outcome coming out….YET!
As a recap, here are the things that I’ve tried/researched:
- Arduino to Pi with an accelerometer
- Arduino alone with the gifs converted into code
- teensy alone with the gifs converted into code
- 4D systems round screen
- Arduino to Pi with a tilt switch using gpicview
- Arduino to Pi with a tilt switch using generic webbrowser
- Arduino to Pi with a tilt switch using chromium (kiosk mode)
- Just the Pi + tilt switch with a local web server set up using node/socket
I’m on the last bullet point now. I’m looking into the on/off GPIO pins library to see how to wire my tilt switch correctly and once that’s over I’ll test it out with my teeny tiny 2.2′ screen to see if it works.
If it does, I think I may faint and/or just die of happiness.
If it works, the only thing that would be left over would be to put it into the actual 8 ball. Since the real is too small to house the Pi and the massive external battery it needs, I ended up buying a spherical container from good ol’ Party City and painting it to look like the real thing.
If you ask me, it came out pretty damn close!
So close, yet so far. It’s on the last step last time that I had to go back to the drawing board and start over… so I’m not counting my chickens before they hatch!
Also, excuse the loopiness…. haven’t slept in the past week, and probably won’t until these finals are over. Bring it on.