For the first week’s assignment, we had to build a flashlight. The definition of flashlight for this was something portable that emitted light.
Lucky (and unlucky) for me, I ran out of face cream last week, and had a great jar that I decided to repurpose for this assignment.
The materials I used (some, but not all shown below) were:
- 3 volt battery (found in the junk shelf… woo!)
- 3 volt lightbulb
- 46Ω resistor
- switch button
- wood plug
I thought the process would be easy and quick… boy was I wrong. I can see now how buying extra materials is a must, and allocating enough time for these projects is a great thing too. I thought doing a wooden plug would be a nice way of aesthetically hiding the cables and the messy part of the flashlight, but after trying the drill press for two days, and ruining countless pieces of wood, I had to use the saw bed to cut the plug for my flashlight. It came out a little wobbly, but I polished it a bit on the sander and BOOM, plug done.
After that, I focused on building my circuit and making sure that it worked before doing anything else with the flashlight. I built it, soldered it and circuit done.
Lastly, I worked on opening the whole in the lid of the jar in order for the button to pop out. I couldn’t figure out how to do it and nobody could give me an answer on how to cleanly do it, so I ended up drilling holes in it until it worked. Success on opening the whole, but it ended up looking terrible in the process :/
I poked the button through it, sealed the gaps with the glue gun (which made it look even worse), but the flashlight was done! Gotta figure out a better way to finish things, but not too shabby for the first project.